Tuesday, September 7, 2010

6 september 2010

Hey alphas

Today i tried round off back tucks again! Pretty crazy because it feels really out of control, but i believe if i keep at it I'll master it soon enough. Just a few learning points:
  • I need to get it into my system to exit my round off with my hands up so keep my rotation going.
  • Keep my legs tight and springy. If i loosen up all the round off energy will be gone.
  • Focus on each motion and emphasise them with energy and firmness, from the round off kick to the tuck for the backtuck.
  • Grow a pair of balls.

Next, Ochi gave me more tips to better my cupie. It involves my footing. Apparently my footwark has been wrong all this while. I need to establich a straight line down my entire body so support the weight well, And that involves giving my upper body somewhat of a twist.

In this post I would also like to discuss a certain theory that I have. Lets call it... the "Joe Theory of Cheerleading"

Joe Theory of Cheerleading

Shortly put, the Joe thoery of cheerleading involves 3 simple steps: Burst-Follow-Cushion-lock. This applies to every stunt I can think of. This is what it means

Burst, Follow, Cushion, Lock

  • Burst
    This is the initiation of the stunt. It is a quick increase in kinetic energy, a burst of power that comes with the flyer synchronised with the base. It is the single toss, the basket toss, the pitch up, any part of the stunt that involves sending the flyer up. This leads to the base not lifting, but instead providing all the energy needed when he is strongest, then anything after that is easy peezy.
  • Follow
    This comes after the burst has been given, and the flyer and base follow where the energy takes them. The flyer will be locked in a tight position so that she does not dissipate her energy, lose her axis, and is easy for the base to control. This is most evident in full ups, press to extensions and so on.
  • Cushion
    After the flyer is caught, in any position, for example at hands, some form of cushion is applied, usually by the knees, to keep the stunt smooth. The arms are also used to maintain a constant upward force so the flyer does not come down too fast, which in turn creates a small impact that destabilises a stunts, such as a normal elevator. As I always like to say: down slow, up fast (Which is also take to be Joe's second theory of cheerleading).
  • Lock
    This is the last part of the move, where all parties lock in the final position. For most cases, the stunt will be locked upwards, so everyone is locked high and straight. Each lock differs from stunt to stunt.

Cheers
Alpha Joe

2 comments:

  1. thank you for participating in BPOM- OCT. best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chaang! Really surprised and happy I won BPoM. Will continue supporting!

    ReplyDelete